Monday, June 8, 2009

so excited...everything that happens will happen today

One of my first great nights in New York was when my then-brand new roommate, Miss Elizabeth Benney (a stranger from Craigslist, no less!) and I went to hear David Byrne and Caetano Veloso play at Carnegie Hall.


It was my first time inside Carnegie Hall, my first time seeing both these maestros perform and the first of many magical moments with Miss Benney. Every seat in the historical Hall is a good one, but we left our velveteen chairs to sit on the crimson carpeted steps in the balcony's corridor. I just remember those two guys sparkling on that spare elegant stage with a guitar and a Brazilian bum bum drum (it makes my heart thump), and Elizabeth's shoulder beside mine. It's been there ever since.


Elizabeth was my ambassador to New York City, now my home. She's moving back to California soon, but tonight we'll be in Prospect Park for a free David Byrne show in the bandshell...a perfect warm-up for my summertime in the city, and a sweet soon-to-be sendoff for Elizabeth.
For just a little while longer, I'll get to be on a blanket next to Miss Benney--surely the best seat in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment