Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Joe Ades

photograph from ekonons Flickr photostream
photograph from ekonon's Flickr photostream

The inimitably dapper Joe Ades, an icon of style and salesmanship, passed away on Sunday, at age 75.He was a fixture at the Union Square Greenmarket, where he famously sold vegetable peelers on the sidewalk in impeccably tailored suits. The first time I saw Mr. Ades on his seat in Union Square, I bought a peeler. He enchanted me with eccentric energy, flecks of spit flying from his mouth as he furiously skinned a bright orange carrot, practically shouting about the peelers' Swiss precision, a thing of beauty.

The New York Times closed their profile with Mr. Ades' daughter remembering the bits of carrot he left behind at the day's end. I know I'm not the only New Yorker who will sorely miss his sharp-cut shreds of color on the sidewalks of Union Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment